My topic yesterday was about Jesus doing the will of God, and if you are born again today, you personally are a direct result of Jesus doing the will of God. In this blog I want to write about us doing the will of God TODAY. As a teenager in an Evangelical church there was much emphasis on doing the will of God, and the dangers of stepping out of the will of God, in hindsight I feel the emphasis was unbalanced. But it wasn’t much better when I moved into the Charismatic/Pentecostal world, this time it often seemed linked to what is known as the Gift of Prophecy, and people would speak a “word” over your life which was often quite DIRECTIONAL. I personally don’t feel that this is the function of the gift under the New Covenant, I do believe though what is said can be CONFIRMATORY. It is so encouraging to get that confirmatory word that so confirms what you have felt in your heart. I can testify to a number of situations over the years which so helped me in my walk with God.
There is no doubt, here again is an area that can assist the new Believer if he is Biblically Discipled. Let me give you some keys to help you confirm that you are in the will of God TODAY.
- We need to be born again
- We need to do what the Apostle John tells us to do in 1 John 1:7 “But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. NKJV
- We must walk in the Light of the WORD of God and our CONSCIENCE, if we do that John says the Blood of Jesus is constantly on our lives. Kind David tells us in Psalm 37:23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, and He delights in his way NKJV.
- Solomon the wisest man in all the world tells us in Ecclesiastes 9:10 Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with your might NKJV. You don’t have to go round searching, normally there is plenty to do right in front of you. Don’t have the attitude for example “putting out the chairs is not my ministry” do it and to the best of your ability, Promotion comes neither from the east, nor for the west nor from the south Psalm 75:6.KJV Being faithful in the smallest and often insignificant things, is very much part of being in the will of God TODAY. Be willing to do it even for ever if needs be, and if promotion comes along Praise the Lord. remember you are not doing it for the Pastor you are doing it for Jesus!!!!
- We need to have the attitude of Eliezer Abraham’s servant as he said in Genesis 24:27 “As for me, being on (in) the way, the Lord led me”.NKJV When you are in the way (in the Lord’s will) he can lead you Hallelujah.
I trust these simple principles will help you, as you learn to walk in the will of God TODAY, please talk to a Mentor, and let Him walk with you in this exciting experience.
There are of course those times when as the Lord leads you, there are decisions to be made, again sit down with a Mentor but take into consideration the principles I will now share. Some time ago I wrote about the Harbour Lights teaching, and it is worth repeating here. In the past when a ship came into harbour at night, the ship’s captain needed to line up a number of lights ahead, both in the water and on the land, and when all these lights lined up he knew he was in the right channel, and knew he would either hit the rocks or get into shallow water. Here are 4 LIGHTS you need to line up to assist you in taking the next steps in fulfilling the will of God.
- You must have PEACE that this is the right way to go or what you have to do. But remember ALL the lights must line up, for example have you heard a Believer say I have such peace about marrying this man even though he is not a Believer!!! ALL LIGHTS MUST LINE UP
- What does the WORD OF GOD say, the above illustration confirms this, what we plan to do MUST line up with the Word of God. So we need to be men and women of the Word, regularly reading and studying its truths.
- CIRCUMSTANCES are very important, (but remember circumstances alone is not a sufficient guide), the devil will sure create negative circumstances to stop you doing the will of God, and just because the circumstances look good, they alone are not sufficient to confirm your direction.
- GODLY COUNSEL seek out your Mentor and seek his guidance on the matter.
ONLY WHEN THESE 4 (HIGHLIGHTED) KEYS LINE UP YOU ARE IN THE WILL OF GOD.
God does not want His children in confusion, but we NEED TO KNOW these essential principles, and by the grace of God, daily continually we can walk in the will of God.
Please let me know if this blog has helped you, please feel to print it out and share with a brother or sister,